S.O.A.R hire! Job Search Tips

We want to make sure you are ready for S.O.A.R.hire! To begin the program, participants will need to provide proof they are eligible to work in the United States by providing certain documents as well as an email address to receive correspondence from us. Below you will find information on what participants will need for this program and how to get those items.

How to get an Identification Card

To obtain an Ohio Identification Card at any local Deputy Register License Agency you must provide proof of the following:

  • Full legal name
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security number (if one has ever been assigned)
  • Legal Presence (U.S. Birth Certificate, valid U.S. passport/ passport card, Naturalization papers, USCIS documents)
  • Residency

Please vist ODPS Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles to see acceptable documents by clicking here

How to get your social security card

You will need to have a Social Security Card when you are employed.  You must present the original social security card to your employer when you begin work.  You can get a new or replacement social security card at any Social Security Administration office.  There is no charge for a new or replacement social security card.  For more information on how to get a social security card, or to find a Social Security Office near you, click here

Where to go for computer access

For the S.O.A.R.hire! Summer program you will need to be able to access a computer in order to receive information from us throughout the summer and to fill out the application. Here is a list of locations that you can go to for free computer access:

  • COWIC’s Workplace Central One-Stop resource room provides computer access to our customers during normal business hours. We are located at 1111 East Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio 43205. Our hours of operation are: Monday-Wednesday 8:30am-5:30pm., Thursday 8:30am-3:00pm., Friday 8:30am-12:00pm, Saturday & Sunday Closed.
  • Columbus Metropolitan library allows library card members to use computers and internet access for free. Please visit the website for locations, and hours. Please click here to access the CML site and find a branch in your neighborhood.

Get your own e-mail address

Having an email address is a great way to send your resume and receive correspondence from employers. You can sign up for a free account at Google, or Yahoo .  Below are some helpful tips on signing up for an email account:

  • To begin the process of getting an email account you will need to provide your first name, last name, birthdate, gender and phone number (gmail).
  • Chose a username that you can use for personal and professional use. Some examples of  popular forms of usernames are: [ [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]] and check your email daily, you never know when you will have important mail.
  • Make sure your password is a combination of 6-7 letters and characters long with at least one number or one symbol ($, !, #, etc) so that only you can access your email account. Make sure to write down your password in a secure location where no one can access it.
  • When you first sign up for your email account, it will ask you to create a secret question in case you ever forget your username or password. Make sure it is a question only you can answer and that you will remember.

Click on one of the email providers above to get started on signing up for your free email account.

Getting a Work Permit

  • 14 & 15 year olds
    • Work Permit: please visit your school district to apply for your permit. Each district has a different process, therefore we recommend calling to make sure you have everything you need prior to making your trip. If you have not had a physical within the current school year, you will need to have one completed in order to receive your permit. A new work permit will be needed every time you switch jobs.
    • Minor Wage Agreement: this form will let you know what the agreed wages and/or compensation will be for each day/month/year you work.
    • Parent Consent Form: this form lets the employer know that your parent/guardian is aware about your employment and has agreed to allow you to work.

If you or your parent/guardian have any additional questions on the Ohio Minor Wage Law, please click here.